In the UK, Poor mental health costs employers up to £45 billion each year. When staff are experiencing poor mental health, the negative impact it has upon their life and work is substantial. Looking after your staff’s wellbeing is ethically the right thing to do.
Trained Mental Health First Aiders will be able to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health. MHFA England training won’t teach you to be a therapist, but just like physical first aid, it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis.
Why should your organisation invest in Mental Health First Aiders:
- Improve the wellbeing services offered to the team
- Provide additional support to the HR function
- Reduce the stigma of mental health and encourage people to talk about mental health
- Support staff who were experiencing poor mental health
- Reduce staff absence and accurately report reason for absence
The course can be delivered:
- Online – Delivered through four online live sessions (maximum duration 2.5 hours) and learner led activities
- Face to face – Delivered over 2 full days
- A deeper understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect people’s wellbeing, including your own
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to appropriate support
Who’s it for?
This course is designed so that you don’t need existing knowledge of mental health, like you don’t need a medical background for physical first aid. This training is available to anyone.
What is covered?
Session 1: What is Mental Health, ALGEE, Stigma, Frame of Reference, Mental Health Continuum, Stress Container.
Session 2: Depression, Substance misuse, Risk factors for Depression and Suicide, Action plan, Applying ALGEE to case studies, Self care.
Session 3: Anxiety, Panic attacks, practicing Non-Judgemental Listening, CBT, Eating disorders, Self-harm.
Session 4: Psychosis, Recovery, Building a mentally healthy workplace, Action plan for using MHFA.
Upon completion you will receive a certificate.
“Exceptionally time managed online course in unexceptional times. Great deal of Mental Health issues were covered and I will take away a lot from this course, especially ALGEE. We have come along way in the last 30 years with regards to mental health, however, we still have a lot more educating of people and MHFA is a very positive step forward”.Cohort 11-25 June 2020
Wendy on 07859 878 599 or email Wendy@GarrettLearning.co.uk for further information.